Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Virtual Worlds Review

Virtual Worlds Review is just what the name implies. At present the author has about 28 virtual world reviews available as well as published papers. I like to pop in and out of the worlds to see how they are forming - what is going on - what could I use them for - how could I use them.

There is a good short review on each world as well as associated links. You find lots of information as well. The reviews include who owns the world, launch date, hours of operation (not all are 24 hours a day), system requirements, as well as operating systems supported.

The paper " Moving Beyond the Game: Social Virtual Worlds " by Betsy Book is worth the time to read.

2 comments:

Vern Czelusniak said...

I have been working with SL for about 2 years. I have been amazed at what kind of environments can be created in this virtual world. The question that everyone asks is how can I use for education? I am very interested in researching the different instructional strategies that can be utilized in SL to create a learning environment that is challenging, engaging and fun.

Gail & Bill Burkett said...

Vern,
I am hoping that by exposing academians to emerging technologies we can do just this. There is so much that could be enhanced in our teaching efforts if we would only give them a try. So many are afraid of the unknown. Thanks for stopping by. The presentation at NISOD is on this very question - with answers.